Personalized License Plate Application Process.
Beginning July 17, 2017 all requests for new personalized license plates must be submitted to the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Department of Vehicle Regulation, Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing through the Drive.KY.Gov website:
- Once on the Drive.KY.Gov website, customers will click the Vehicle Services drop-down menu at the top of the home page, and then click on the License Plates link
- Applicant will be guided through an online search to ensure the desired plate is available
- If the desired plate is available, then customers will complete an online request form
- Every request will be reviewed by a Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing committee to ensure full compliance with state law
- Applicant will be notified of the Committee’s decision by mail or e-mail within 30 days
o Approved requests will receive a pre-approval form from DVR-MVL that should be taken to the local County Clerk’s office for submission with the official application form TC 96-342; a $25.00 personalized plate fee will be collected at the JCCO branch location.
- After a period of six to eight weeks, you will need to call 502.574.5700 to tell us which branch you would prefer to visit to pick up your personalized plate. Be sure to bring your current license plate, original registration, current KY insurance card, $21.00 renewal fees, $25.00 plate fee and personal property tax for the year. We accept checks, Visa, MC, AMX and Discover.
o Denied requests will receive notification by mail or e-mail, including explanation of the appeals process. For more information, please call 502-564-1257
House Bill 530.
With House Bill 530 there will be two significant changes with regards to personalized plates:
- Personalized plate expiration date of December 31st, will soon be transitioned to birth month.
- The plate replacement option, offered at renewal, will be discontinued. Specifically, customers will only have the option of a decal. Personalized license plates shall be replaced on the same schedule as regular issue license plates unless it is damaged or unreadable.
Effective Tuesday, July 10th, 2018 AVIS will no longer offer the option of a personalized plate replacement.
Also, records that currently notate a replacement plate, will be changed to the decal option.