Chat service by BoldChat
Monday through Friday
10:00 A.M. until 2:00 P.M.

Deed Room and Legal Records
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are your hours of operation?

A: The Customer Service hours for the Deed Room are from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Friday and 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon on Saturday, except legal holidays.

*The Recorders Office is open for recording from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except legal holidays. The Professional License Department is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except legal holidays.

*After 5:00 p.m. weekdays and Saturdays, research can only be conducted in the deed room due to light manpower during these times. Please bring the exact amount of money for any copies needing to be made during these hours. No change can be given.

Q: What are your fees for recording and copying various documents?

A: All fees are listed on our site - follow this link: Document Fees

Q: What is the rate on property transfer taxes?

A: $1.00 per $1000 of the property's sale price.

Q: Can I call and get information over the phone about recorded information?

A: Yes, if you know the buyers/sellers name and a specific date (from August 1984 to current date), then certain recorded information can be given over the telephone. Prior to August 1984, you will need to come to Room 204 of Metro Hall, 527 West Jefferson Street, to search indexes not available on computer. Copies may be obtained for a fee of $2.00 for 3 pages or less and 25 cents per page after 3. If you need the document certified the fee is $5.00.

Q: Will the County Clerk's employees call if documents are incomplete or fail to meet Kentucky Statute requirements for recording?

A: No. However, Recorders will prepare a rejection form and include it with the rejected document as method of explanation.

Q: What is the most common mistake made that causes the rejection of paperwork from the Recording Department?

A: The most common mistake is not including a Preparation Statement. A Preparation Statement must include the printed or typed name, address, city, state, zip code and signature of the individual that prepared the documents that will be recorded.

Q: What other mistake would cause a rejection from the Recording Department?

A: The following will result in a rejection from the Recording Department:

Q: What is the turn around time for receiving original documents from the County Clerk's Office?

A: When documents are brought to the Recording Department (located at Metro Hall, 527 W. Jefferson, Room 204), they are recorded immediately following review. Please allow seven to ten days to receive the documents by return mail or, the original document can be picked up after five business days. If documents are mailed for recording, please address them to: Recordings, 527 W. Jefferson St., Room 204, Louisville, Ky. 40202. Once received in the office, the turn around time can be two weeks.

Q: What is the process to release a lien?

A: A release statement is prepared by the lien holder and then presented to the Recording Department. Individuals using the Jefferson County Clerk's release form to release a lien must appear in person to receive and complete the form.

Q: Who will contact businesses when recording fees change?

A: Fees seldom change. Fee changes require legislative action. If fees change, the County Clerk will provide notification of such changes. If you would like a list of current fees you can visit the Recording Department at Metro Hall, Room 204 or call (502) 574-5785 to receive a faxed copy (local fax numbers only) or access the fees listed on this Web site.

Q: Is it necessary to have the original book and page number to establish the priority of mortgages?

A: No. Every recorded Mortgage has a recording receipt or recording clock. The information received through that receipt is the documents own reference number, date, and time of recording.

Q: Is it necessary to have the Assignment document notarized?

A: Yes.

Q: Has my mortgage been released?

A: Using this Web site, you can check to see if the release of a mortgage has been recorded by searching under the name of the Mortgagor. Releases are shown as the document type "REL". If you know the Book and Page of the recorded mortgage, you can use the "Refers to Field" and inquiry by entering the Mortgage's assigned Book and Page. This method of inquiry will show all releases and assignments of record from January 1991 to date. Visit the Online Land Records System and view your mortgage.

Q: How do I file my business name as a (DBA) Doing Business Under an Assumed Name?

A: If you wish to file a business name as a sole proprietor, you will come to Metro Hall, 527 W. Jefferson Street, Room 204. Using the computer system as a final check, you will confirm that the chosen name is not being used by anyone else. At the Deed Room Desk, you will obtain a DBA form to fill out. You will then record the business name at the Recording Desk. There is a $9.00 recording fee and an additional $2.00 charge for notarization. This document needs to be renewed every five years.

Q: Do I need a blood test in order to get a marriage license?

A: No

Q: How do I get my personal name changed?

A: Personal name changes are only recorded at the Jefferson County Clerk's Office, these are processed through Probate Court, located in the Hall of Justice. You may contact Probate Court at 595-4434. When Probate Court approves the name change, the record is recorded at the Recording Desk in Room 204, located at 527 W. Jefferson.

Q: How do I schedule an appointment to get married at the County Clerk's Office?

A: The County Clerk's Office does not perform or schedule appointments for marriages.

Q: Can any of the Jefferson County Clerk's Office staff serve as a witness for our wedding ceremony?

A: Yes.

Q: Are UCC Filings or Fixture Filings recorded in Land Records?

A: Yes, UCC Filings or Fixture Filings are recorded in Land Records when Real Estate is involved. The property can be described by the property address or with metes and bounds. In Legal Records the UCC Filings or Fixture Filings pertaining to Real Estate have been recorded into the Fixture Filing Book (FF) since 1987. All amendments, continuations, assignments, partial releases, and releases of Fixture Filings are recorded into public records. The fees for recording are listed under "Fixture Filing Fees"

Q: How can I locate a specific document's recorded Book & Page information?

A: There are two methods of inquiry to locate a document's Book and Page information. The first method is to inquire using the document's reference number, if it is known. The second is to inquire by Grantor's name.

Q: How are individual names indexed?

A: The names of individuals are indexed as they appear on the document. The surname is followed by the given name and the middle name or initial.

Q: How are firms names indexed?

A: Firm names are indexed as they appear on the document. The indexed name begins in the surname field and continues through the middle name field.

Q: Are dashes, commas, periods, and hyphens included in the indexing of names?

A: No. A space is used in place of all dashes, commas, periods, and hyphens that appear in the name.

Q: Does the indexing system use any specific abbreviations in indexing names?

A: Yes. The indexing system abbreviates the following:
Company = CO
Corporation = CORP
Association = ASSN
Incorporated = INC
Trustee = TR

Q: When indexing a firm name is the word "The" used as the first word in the indexed name?

A: No.

Q: Does the system allow for inquiry by using an address?

A: No. Properties can be identified with an address but the description field is not an avenue for inquiry.

Q: What is the "Refers to Field"?

A: If a document's Book and Page is known, the "refers to field" is a method of inquiry. Data in this area has been compiled since January 1, 1991 to date. To use this method, the known Book and Page is entered and documents related to the initial record will be presented. This is especially helpful to identify if a mortgage has been assigned or released.

Q: This system allows for inquiry from August 15, 1984 to date. What should I do to obtain information prior to that date?

A: The Deed Room located at 527 W. Jefferson Street, Room 204, has indexes available for review dating back to the year 1783. They are available for research during the hours posted on this Web site.

Q: How are the "Codes" listed on the Web site helpful in searching the index?

A: By using the code for specific document types, the inquiry will filter out all entries not under that code or document type.